October 27, 2005

Drumstick leaves fried with Eggs (weekend herb)

Drumstick leaves (Botanical name - Moringa Oleifera)

Drumstick leaves are antibacterial and are wonderful cleaners. They are used in the cure of many ailments due to their various medicinal properties. It helps to cure hiccups, urine troubles, worm troubles, boils, abscess, piles, etc.

Drumstick leaves contain 7 times the vitamin C in oranges plus 4 times the calcium in milk plus 4 times the vitamin A in carrots plus 2 times the protein in milk plus 3 times the potassium in bananas. Did you know about this? Unfortunately, I personally do not think this vital information has reached the people who need it most.

I am quite thrilled and inspired by the theme of weekend herb blogging at Kalyn's kitchen. I am starting off with one of our favorite side dish recipes we devour which is made of drumstick leaves and eggs. Your feedbacks on this please.

Bringing ingredients together...

Drumstick leaves fried with eggs recipe

Ingredients:

Drumstick leaves – 2-3 handsful, picked off one by one from the stems and stalks (need lots of patience), washed
Onions – 3, medium size, finely chopped
Green chillies – 8, medium size and medium hot, finely chopped
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Ghee – 2 teaspoons
Salt – ½+½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon

Method:
Heat a frying pan, pour in the oil and ghee. When very hot, add the onions and green chillies together and fry till they turn limp. Add the drumstick leaves. Sprinkle a handful of water and ½ teaspoon salt over the drumstick leaves, cover with a lid, and let the drumstick leaves boil for 5 minutes over moderate heat. Meanwhile, beat up the eggs with the turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Remove the covering lid over the drumstick leaves and fry turning over frequently. When dryish and no water runs out, pour the egg batter slowly all over the drumstick leaves, stirring with a spatula to distribute the egg batter evenly. When the egg sets into flakes, remove from the fire. Serve hot as soon as it is made for a delicious flavor. Enjoy!

One more close-up picture of it. Isn't it a tempting one? :-)

: :

16 Comments:

Blogger Gini said...

You get drumstick leaves in Muscat...that is wicked! That is a combo I never tried..maybe during my vacaton in Kerala I will make this dish.

10/29/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Surprised. Oh yes, me too when I saw the small plant at our neighbor's tiny garden. This old guy takes care of his 2-year-old plant so well that it is so healthy and gives out lots of stems and stalks.

Should I fed-ex you some leaves from here? I think not a bad idea :-)

10/29/2005  
Blogger eat stuff said...

Wow what a great recipe, I don't think we have drumsticks here in OZ but I love finding out about unusual plants!

10/31/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Hi Clare:

I just dont know why these kind of precious herbs are still unknown to many. I will definitely try to write more about these outstandingly good herbs. Stay in touch friend.

10/31/2005  
Blogger Sury said...

How interesting! I knew you could cook drumstick leaves much like you cook saag, but this one sounds novel. As an egg lover, I must try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

11/03/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

You are always welcome Sury. I am eager to know how it came out at your kitchen.

I will try to add some more egg recipes just for you :-)

11/03/2005  
Blogger Sury said...

Hurray! Made it today and it turned out super yum. Thanks for this delightful recipe, VKN. Yes, it did take a little patience to sort those leaves out, but the end result more than made up for it.

11/06/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

:-) fantastic feedback Sury. Many thanks for trying it at your home.

Next time when you prepare this, just add 2 tablespoons of freshly grated coconut for a totally different taste.

11/06/2005  
Blogger Kay said...

My mom makes this dish in the same way and it looks spookily similar. Havent heard of anybody else making this dish.

Btw, I want to see the recipe for Goan chicken Xacuti but the link doesnt seem to work (from the Menu page) any help, VKN?

1/03/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really tickled to see this
recipe using drumstick leaves. That name sounded familiar, so I
looked it up, and yes, it is my
moringa tree in the back yard.
Mine is quite small at the moment,
but the friend who started me on
this plant gave me a sack of dried
leaves, so maybe I will re-hydrate
them and use them in your recipe.

Thanks for a good use of the leaves. My friend said they are
good added to rice, also. -- Mel

11/03/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi VKN,

Just found your blog through Kalyn's blog. Was wondering what the drumstick leaves are called in Indian (either Hindu or Tamil). Coz the Indian sellers might not know the name in English.

Thanks.

Shirley

1/04/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I love ur site! Simple and easy recipes. Great Job!

6/21/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there,

I bought drumstick leaves after 5 years staying in swiss, didnt know it was avaiable, i knew its yummy to eat but didnt what to cook out of it, i saw ur recipe and tried it imm, it out a HIT!!

Thanks

Monica

10/18/2009  
Blogger Purnima said...

Amuamma's variation..makes in coconut oil for more flavour! :) TKs for sharing your recipe, looks really delicious..can you kindly mention in list of ingredients, no. of eggs, I assume its 3--making this first time here in Kuwait today. Thankyou again for pictorial n technique!

2/07/2010  
Blogger sangeeta said...

Wow wow wow....
i have cooking a few recipes with the leaves as i have a huge tree in my garden . Tjis recipe with eggs sounds yummy n i am gonna try this very soon... will let you know how we liked it.

8/31/2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will the nutritional value of the leaves (moringa) remain the same even if it is fried?

11/12/2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*