October 16, 2005

Fish curry



Fish curry recipe
Serves – 4
Cooking time – approx 40 min

Ingredients:
Fish of your choice or prawns (peeled and de-veined) – ½ kg
Salt – 1-1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Green chillies – 4, medium hot, de-seeded
Onion – 1, medium size, sliced
Coconut oil – 2 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – a small bunch, freshCoconut milk – 2 cups, extracted from one fresh small firm whole coconut scrapings
Kodampuli – 4 pieces, boiled in water
Water – 2 cups, warm

For ground paste:
Red chillies – 6
Peppercorns - 3
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cummin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Garlic – 6 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece

Method: Wash, clean, and cut the fish into 6-7 pieces. Mix it with the salt, green chillies, and onion. Keep aside. Combine all the the ingredients for paste, and grind it to make a smooth paste. Extract coconut milk and keep aside. Heat oil in a deep pan. When very hot, add mustard seeds. When those stop spluttering, add curry leaves and the ground paste. Fry the paste on a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add a little water if needed. Now put the coconut extract and stir-cook for 20 minutes. The sauce will become thick. Add the marinated fish pieces and the kodampuli pulp to the boiling sauce. Add enough water to cover the fish pieces. Cook on a medium heat stirring it lightly in between. Stir only with the stem end of a spoon or just shake the vessel lightly. This is to prevent the fish from breaking into bits. Add more salt to taste if necessary. When the fish curry is reduced to half its quantity and gravy thickens, remove the curry from fire and put it into a serving dish. Serve hot or cool and enjoy.

Fish curry made this way is delicious when eaten with white boiled rice, bread, dosais, idlies, or appams. Cover the fish curry with a lid only after it cools.

9 Comments:

Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hi VKN,

I am visting your blog for the first time. All your recipes and pictures looks nice. I was taken by the fish curry which is my favourite recipe. How did u get kodampuli...it is famous in kerala. It brought back the memories of my mum's recipe. Will try your recipe sooner. I just started my blog... visit my blog when u find time

12/06/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello VKN,
i am really glad i discovered ur site.i tried two of ur recipes chicken 65 and fish curry.both turned out well.ur site is a treat to freshers like me.r u residing in Oman? i was brought up there and now am in California.My parents r still there.thnx a lot for taking pains in publishing recipes.

12/06/2006  
Blogger Opal Scraps said...

hi
really nice site. can you pls tell me whats kodumpuli?

11/28/2007  
Blogger Term Papers said...

Fish curry recipe is very easy to make and I will say my mother that Please cook this Fish curry for me.I am fond of eat fish.


Term papers

1/26/2010  
Anonymous tom@roadsidecottagerecipes said...

I printed this recipe a week ago and tried it the other night. I suggest that you use monkfish (if you can get hold of it) for this recipe. The fish is firm and doesn't break up when cooking. Great recipe, really enjoyed it, many thanks

5/20/2010  
Anonymous JV@http://nara-saz.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for the recipe. The only kind of fish I make is the seasoned. Will try this soon.

http://mummyscookbook.blogspot.com/2010/06/breaded-fish-fillets.html

6/30/2010  
Anonymous dining table said...

I wonder why some people don't like these kinds of dishes. I think this is really delicious.

11/26/2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi VKN, this is an amazing dish, I really liked the combination of spices you have used. Keep it up.
Check out my blog http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

2/24/2011  
Anonymous nosheen said...

jerk fish looks so delicious, and always dream of making this fish at home. Thank you for telling the whole recipe.

5/25/2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*