November 27, 2005

My Dhaba's Rock Cookies



When we saw the theme “A Virtual Cookie Swap” jointly hosted by IMBB-SHF, we were so excited and wanted to participate with the ONLY cookie that we have so far made at My Dhaba. There was scarcity of time, but hope we have finally made it through. Thank you IMBB-SHF team especially Jennifer and Albiston for this wonderful theme.

Here is our most favorite and one and the only cookie – the My Dhaba's traditional homemade rock cookies.

Bringing the ingredients together…




My Dhaba’s rock cookie recipe

Ingredients:
Butter – ½ cup (at room temperature)
Sugar – ½ cup
Self-raising flour or maida – 1-1/2 cups
Egg - 1
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoons (or orange juice – 2 teaspoons)
Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Raisins – 10-15 (optional), lightly fried in ghee
Cashew nuts – 10 (optional), lightly fried in ghee, broken into quarters
Cinnamon - 1/2-inch piece stick (optional), powdered
Salt – ½ teaspoon

Method: Cream butter, sugar, and egg in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the flour, salt, lemon juice, vanilla essence, baking powder, raisins, cashew nuts, and cinnamon powder. Refrigerate the mix for few minutes if needed to make it firm. Preheat oven to 160 degree celcius. Shape into lime-sized balls, sprinkile some sugar on the top, press down slightly, and place on a lightly greased pizza tray or cookie sheet allowing enough room for spreading. Bake for 10-15 minutes on convection 160 degree celcius or till the edges become slightly brown. They are quite nutritious and tasty – one of our 4-yr-old taste taster Adarsh’s favorites too :-). Serve the cookies towering in a big pile on the table and enjoy!

Here is one more closeup picture of the rock cookies which we had made at My Dhaba few weeks ago. Hope you like those.

Add-on announcement: My Dhaba team requests you to vote for "My Dhaba's Rock Cookies" by e-mailing to cookieswap@gmail.com stating "My Dhaba's Rock Cookies" are my favourite".

Thank you very much in advance for your vote in favor of our Rock Cookies. Enjoy and have fun. Cheers!

VK Narayanan, Chef de cuisine, My Dhaba

: : : :

23 Comments:

Blogger Gini said...

They look really good..I missed the cookie swap event totally...

11/28/2005  
Blogger Shammi said...

Goodness, they do look yummy. I'm gonna have to try this recipe.

11/28/2005  
Blogger Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

They look realy Good ! Thank you ;)

11/28/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Gini - thank you. We at my dhaba too were about to miss, but somehow managed to pass it through :-)

11/28/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Shammi - wow! so glad to know that you liked it. Please do let us know how it turned out at your kitchen.

11/28/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Chanit - thank you so much for being our guest today. You are most welcome.

11/28/2005  
Blogger Mika said...

Those cookies look delicious with that crunchy sugar coating. Yummm...

11/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So tempting to have a bite--utterly, butterly delicious!!

11/29/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Mika - thanks. We made the sugar coating just to woo our Adarsh :-) and he likes it that way.

11/29/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Lera - thanks. How do you make butter cookies at ur home?

11/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vkn,never tried making cookies at home :) perhaps, I should try sometime soon.

11/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Your recipes are all so fool-proof.It is a pleasure coming to your site.Hugs& kisses from a fan.
Keep up the good work.

11/30/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your recipes usually have very healthy ingredients.This is the first time I see u have gone 4 a little indulgence & have butter, sugar, flour & all the sinfully bad stuff in your recipe.
No complaints, though. Keep it coming.

11/30/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Food Obsessed - Nice nick! :-) Thank you very much for letting us know of your feelings :-) We liked it. We are so happy to notice that My Dhaba now have few fans out there - wow! Thanks once again pal.

11/30/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Oh yes, you are absolutely right. The food becomes sinfully bad when eaten out of control in a gluttonous way - too much of everything is bad, isn't it. Adarsh (my 4-yr-old son) loves to have variety. We rarely go out and have food from outside. This was a treat to him :-)

11/30/2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

They look wonderful!

12/02/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yum! I love the raisins and cashew nuts in there!

Paz

12/04/2005  
Blogger mae said...

Hi VKN,

Sorry for not visiting you for a while also, can i add you to my links? This makes it easier for me to browse you in future! LOL

I have sent out a vote for you cos you cookies really rocks! Well, they do look like they do. I haven't tried it yet.

12/05/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look delicious! Love the flavor combinations ...yum!

12/06/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLEEEEASE tell me how to make these cookies or choc chip cookies in the microwave oven. they ALWAYS cum out burnt nad i'm going mad bcuz i wud really like to make biscuits n cookies in the microv !!! at least tell me which temperature i shud cook the cookies at int he micro. i wud really appreciate it .

12/08/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Your cookies look yummy i will
defintely try !
i have a question though.
You have mentioned baking degrees in 160c but as i am in US we have oven
in farenheith so please can you
give it in farenheith ...
please need it soon
i want to try it soon.
thks

11/07/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi VKN,
I was looking for raisin cookies. I got it today. I am first time visitor of your blog. I started seeing your recipes today morning and forgot my breakfast. All recipes are so nicely explained. Thanks a lot. I am going to try this cookie recipe. You have mentioned in the recipe that cream egg, sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Is that possible to do this using big spoon?

6/08/2007  
Blogger Rashu14 said...

They look wonderful...wud try them soon..but i m sure u hv descibed it in such a simple manner tht it wud be very easy for me to make..thanks

8/31/2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*