December 28, 2005

Prawns Jalfrezi aka Chilli Prawns

Here is one of our most favorite seafoods - the prawns jalfrezi aka chilli prawns. Per my understanding, 'jhall' is a bengali term which means very hot. Frezi must have been coined by the term 'fry'; a spicy stir-fry. Does anyone know what is the correct origin and derivation of the name 'Jalfrezi'.

Prawns jalfrezi aka chilli prawns recipe

King prawns – ½ kg, shelled and deveined
Green chillies – 6, fresh, medium size, medium hot, sliced length-wise
Ginger – 1/2-inch piece, finely chopped and crushed
Garlic – 3 beads, whole, lightly crushed
Onions – 2, medium size, diced
Curry leaves – a sprig
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
Black pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
Tomatoes – 2, medium size, fully ripe, finely chopped
Capsicum – 2, medium size, fresh, diced
Soy sauce – 1 teaspoon
Coconut milk – ½ cup
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
Coriander leaves – a small bunch
Salt – 1-1/2 teaspoon or adjusted to taste
Oil – 2 teaspoon

Method: Heat oil in a fry pan and when very hot put in the garlic, curry leaves, onion, and ginger. When onions turns limp, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, black pepper powder, and fry for a minute. Add the tomatoes and saute till oil separates from it. Now add the capsicum, soy sauce, prawns, and salt. Stir-fry for 2 minutes on moderate heat. Add the coconut milk, green chillies, and lime juice alongwith half a cup of hot water. Bring slowly to the boil, simmer, and let the prawns cook in this mixture for approx 5 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.

:

8 Comments:

Blogger mae said...

Jalfrezi is one of my favourite indian meal. Lamb Jalfrezi that is. I like it hot, hot, hot! The photo looks hot and yummy...

12/28/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Mae - wow! do you cook Lamb Jalfrezi? Where did you find it for the first time? Just curious! Jalfrezis are endangered ones :-), I thought.

12/28/2005  
Blogger Jag said...

VK: wishing you all the best for the coming New Year!

12/29/2005  
Blogger Verdant said...

Hey VK! Thanks for swinging by my blog. And yes, it was quite a coincidence that we both made Jalfrezi dishes on the same day. It was my first time ever, but it won't be the last. I added you to my blog list as well.

12/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you eat this with?

Plain rice or roti?

6/05/2008  
Blogger Damian Byrne said...

Darn it

I have just been to the shops to buy all the ingredients to make this tonight and forgot the coconut milk.

I am hoping someone is reading the post who can advise if I can use something else in its place.

Here's hoping

DB

7/19/2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks very tasty indeed - got some friends coming to stay for the weekend and I'm going to make this for our evening meal tonight. LOVE jalfrezi! :)

7/31/2009  
Anonymous Michael Clark said...

Lovely recipe, I slightly increased the quantity of chilli powder and added an extra hot pepper and it blew my mouth off.

My favourite Indian recipe so far!

12/17/2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*