December 14, 2005

A virtual treat to my mom

My Dhaba is celebrating my mother's 67th birthday today in this way. Come and join us for a delicious virtual treat with a plate of Halwa Omania and Kahwa (the world famous Omani black coffee) :-) Cheers!




Now to give you the authentic traditional Omani recipes, we have spent so many hours discussing and gathering information from our Omani friends, internet sources, etc. Surprisingly everyone gives us a different recipe for the same dish.

Here is what we thought would be the most authentic recipe for making halwa Omania. Who wants to be its first taste-tester? We are getting some more inputs from our dear and near ones and may make minor changes here and there. So, if you are interested in this recipe, please bookmark this page for updates. We will also post the recipe for Kahwa separately.

Halwa Omania Recipe

Ingredients:
Water – 1 L
White sugar – 1 cup
Brown sugar – ½ cup
Wheat starch – 1 cup
Ghee – ½ cup
Rose water – ½ teaspoon
Saffron – a pinch
Cardomom powder – ½ teaspoon
Almonds – 1 tablespoon, broken into quarters
Cashewnuts – 1 tablespoon, broken into quarters
Nutmeg powder – 1 teaspoon

Method: Boil the water in a vessel and add the brown sugar. Stir well until the brown sugar is completely dissolved. Add the sugar and stir well again until it is completely dissolved. Put on low heat, add the wheat starch, and stir the mixture continually for about 2 hours (lots of hard work involved). Add the ghee when the mixture is semi-thick, sprinkle a little water sparingly, and keep stirring it continously now until the mixture holds together. Add the saffron, rose water, almonds, cashewnuts, and nutmeg. Keep on stirring until the mixture is thick. Remove from heat and pour into 2-inch deep containers. Garnish with some nuts and allow it cool. Serve it to your guests with a cup of coffee or Kahwa (Omani black coffee). Enjoy!

:

12 Comments:

Blogger Marcela said...

A really sweet gift. :) I'm very curious, so i'll try it someday...
Health and long life to you mother.
Cheers,
Marcela

12/15/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vkn, your Mom is surely blessed with a son like you ! The Halwa is superb!will add this in my must try list!

12/15/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vkn, I am wondering ,how do you get to make wheat starch--?

12/15/2005  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Marcela - pl let us know how it turned out ok.

Lera - Wheat starch is highly refined and closely resembles to wheat flour (atta). It holds it all together. Look this out in your nearby grocery store.

12/15/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello VKN

came across your blog very recently and I just "love it".It has become a ritual everyday to go through you blog, great job! Would love to know if you or any of your visitors can help me find "Wheat Starch" in the US, wanted to try out the halwa.

Deepa

3/09/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi VKN,

Is wheat gluten the same as wheat starch? Can I use wheat gluten instead of the starch. Please let me know as I have been eyeing on the receipe for quite some time now.

Preeti

7/06/2006  
Blogger * said...

Desperately looking for a recipe for Omani halwa and came across yours.
I did ask around for "wheat starch", at Carre4 and Choithrams, but all I go was atta/maida given to me.
Where do I get wheat starch and does it have any other name, in hindi or arabic?
Thanks

10/28/2006  
Blogger * said...

Desperately looking for a recipe for Omani halwa and came across yours.
I did ask around for "wheat starch", at Carre4 and Choithrams, but all I go was atta/maida given to me.
Where do I get wheat starch and does it have any other name, in hindi or arabic?
Thanks

10/28/2006  
Blogger * said...

Desperately looking for a recipe for Omani halwa and came across yours.
I did ask around for "wheat starch", at Carre4 and Choithrams, but all I go was atta/maida given to me.
Where do I get wheat starch and does it have any other name, in hindi or arabic?
Thanks

10/28/2006  
Blogger * said...

Desperately looking for a recipe for Omani halwa and came across yours.
I did ask around for "wheat starch", at Carre4 and Choithrams, but all I go was atta/maida given to me.
Where do I get wheat starch and does it have any other name, in hindi or arabic?
Thanks

10/28/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe, I've just tried it and I'm waiting for it to cool down :)

One question - is it supposed to become thick immediately after it boils, or should it be more fluid until toward the end of the process? Mine came out pretty thick quickly, so I've added some more water to be able to stir it.

10/30/2008  
Blogger Azeema Faizunnisa said...

what is wheat starch? what is it called in stores in the unites states?

1/17/2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*