January 17, 2006

Mango pachadi

Pachadis are the piquant appetisers of an Indian meal served in little portions along with other accompaniments. Today, we have cooked one of our most favorite Pachadis - the mango pachadi. You will read about all other Pachadis at My Dhaba in the days to come. Please do stay in touch.

Bringing the ingredients together...

Mango pachadi recipe
Yield - 10-12 servings; 2 cupfuls

Ingredients:
Mango - 2, large, cut into slices with skin on, just on the point of becoming ripe, sweetish and slightly sour taste
Jaggery - 3/4 cup, crushed
Turmeric powder - 1/8 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies - 4, medium hot, medium size, slightly slit at the stem end
Dried red chilly - 1, medium hot, medium size, broken into halves
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Rice flour - 2 teaspoons, made into a thick paste with a little water
Curry leaves - a sprig

Method: Bring 2 cupfuls of water to boil and add to it the mango slices, turmeric powder, salt, and green chillies. When the mango slices are boiled soft, add the jaggery. After the jaggery dissolves and has blended into the mango pulp, add the rice flour paste. Simmer over low heat to a thick mass and remove from the heat. Heat the oil till it becomes very hot in a fry pan, add mustard seeds to splutter, dried red chillies to crisp, curry leaves, and then pour it into the pachadi. Stir well once before serving. Enjoy!

PS: For those who requested for a printer-friendly copy of these recipes, I am still trying to learn the stuff. Meanwhile, this is for your info that I am sending the text-only contents to my Google Group - My Dhaba as soon as I post something here. Welcome you to join us there if you would like to be notified each time a new post is added to My Dhaba. Cheers!

:

1 Comments:

Blogger Gini said...

I was always under the impression that mango pachadi was made of unripe mangoes. Thanks for showing me otherwise.

1/18/2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*