April 2, 2006

Potato bondas

It is tea time here. Here is how we prepared our potato bondas. They are really filling snacks. Two bondas are more than enough to satisfy.

Bringing the ingredients together...

Potato bondas recipe
Yield – approximately 20-25 bondas

Ingredients:
For batter:
Bengal-gram dal flour – 3 cupfuls
Rice flour – ½ cup
Red chilly powder – ½ teaspoon
Baking powder – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
Salt – ¾ teaspoon, finely powdered
For filling:
Potatoes – ½ kg, boiled till soft
Turmeric powder – ¾ teaspoon
Red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
Cummin powder – ¼ teaspoon
Fenugreek powder – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – ¾ teaspoon, finely powdered
Coriander leaves – half of a bunch, finely chopped
Oil – 2 teaspoons + oil for deep frying
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Black-gram dal – ½ teaspoon
Onions – 2, medium size, finely chopped
Green chillies – 3, small, medium hot, finely chopped
Lime juice – 1 tablespoon, fresh

Method: Combine the bengal-gram dal flour, rice flour, chilly powder, baking soda powder, and salt by adding enough water to make it a thick batter which pours heavily from a spoon. Beat up the batter for 2 minutes and keep aside. Peel off the skins of boiled potatoes and mash it to a lumpy dough. Mix in the spice powders, salt, and coriander leaves to the potato dough. Make 2 teaspoons of oil very hot, add the mustard seeds to splutter, black-gram dal to brown lightly, then chopped onions and green chillies. When the onions turn limp, add the mashed potatoes. Fry, turning over repeatedly, till there is a nice smell. Remove from the heat, and when cool add the lime juice. Make the potato dough into small firm balls. Keep the batter handy next to them. Heat a deep fry pan over high steady heat. Pour in the oil for deep frying. When the oil becomes smoking hot, dip a potato ball into the batter to be completely covered by it, and drop gently into the hot oil. Drop in just enough batter covered balls to fry freely in the oil without bumping into one another. Turn over the balls constantly while frying. When an attractive light brown color, gather them up all together in a large perforated slice, hot against the side of the fry pan till the clinging oil drips off entirely, and remove to a dry plate. Serve hot with any of your favorite chutneys and enjoy!


:

18 Comments:

Blogger Sury said...

VKN, I can't tell you how delighted I am to see this post! Bondas are a special favourite of mine and these look super yum. I must, MUST try them out soon.

4/02/2006  
Blogger Priya said...

the bonda look YUMMMM ! thanx for the recipe VKN and hey wen i usually make bondas the potato masala inside is to watery can u tell why? before frying it its ok only after dipping it in the batter and frying its soggy .. can u pls help me on this..thank u

4/03/2006  
Blogger Priya Sivan said...

Thks for stepping into my site and commenting on it. Seen it only now. You have a wonderful blog here. Will make my visits frequent :)) and sry i missed the tag :)

4/03/2006  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

VKN: Bonda looks yummy and utterly delicious. It goes to my "must do's". Thanks for sharing this recipe.

4/03/2006  
Blogger RP said...

vkn, those bondas look beautiful. I have lots of potatoes here waiting for me too cook them before they sprout. I think I should make some bondas now. If I make, I will be following this recipe for sure.

4/03/2006  
Blogger Vineela said...

Hey,
Bondas looks Yummy.Nice pics.
I started blogging with my fav dish "Aaloobonda"(My first recipe).
Cheers.
Vineela

4/03/2006  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

looks yummy, just want to have them.

4/04/2006  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi,
Your Bondas looks yummy!!!!!!!!!!
I like to have it with tea.

4/06/2006  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Thanks everyone. Nice to know that you enjoyed the post.

Priya - the addition of rice flour is to keep the shape and texture intact. I am not too sure why your potato filling becomes soggy.

4/06/2006  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

the pic loooks so delish...must be a meal by itself

4/06/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Delicious looking. I love bonda.

4/06/2006  
Blogger Shalini said...

Wow it looks delicious! I always get the covering a little thicker, should the batter consitency be more watery? What makes it thineer, the more thinner it is, the more delicious it is!

4/06/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi VKN, The picture looks very appetising.. My fav is Capsicum Bonda stuffed with Aloo served with Tangy Green chilli sauce..:)

4/06/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummmy!! those look super delicous. What fantastic pictures!!

cheers!

4/07/2006  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Hi VKN:
I left a comment for these delicious looking bondas, but it didn't appear:(. i wish to grab one. I have same question as shaline about the consistency of batter??

4/08/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tagged u on a meme. check out my blog. :)

4/08/2006  
Blogger ammani said...

I love urulai bonda. Especially the slight sourness in the curry inside. Am off to cook it NOW!

4/08/2006  
Blogger ammani said...

I love urulai bonda. Especially the slight sourness in the curry inside. Am off to cook it NOW!

4/08/2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*