September 12, 2006

Beaten rice payasam

Here is how we make beaten rice payasam which is one of our all-time classic favorite desserts at My Dhaba. We hope you like it!

Beaten rice fried in the ghee to a reddish-brown color.

Beaten rice payasam recipe
Serves - 4

Ingredients:
Beaten rice - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk - 2 cupfuls
Cashew nuts - 7
Cardamoms - 7 (finely powdered)
Saffron - 1/4 teaspoon, soaked in 2 tablespoons of hot milk (this gives the deep yellow color)
Raisins - 1 tablespoon
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
Water - 3 cups

Method: Heat a vessel and pour in the ghee. When it becomes just hot, fry the cashew nuts and raisins separately in it and remove from the ghee. In the same hot ghee, fry the beaten rice very well to a reddish brown pleasing color and remove to a plate. Bring the water to the boil and add the fried beaten rice. Stir occasionally till boiled to a pulp. Add sugar stirring now and then till the sugar has blended into the beaten rice. Now pour in the boiled milk, saffron-soaked milk, and simmer over low heat till semi-thick. Just before taking down from the heat, add the fried cashew nuts, raisins, and cardamom powder. Stir thoroughly, keep aside for 15 minutes, and serve. Enjoy!

Traditional Indian home cooking recipe: Beaten rice payasam

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This is new to me. I would love to try it out.
Good to see some payasam recipes from you after a long break.

9/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a bag of poha that's been languishing on my kitchen shelf for a while now...will have to put it to use now.

9/13/2006  
Blogger FH said...

Never before made this poha payasa. Interesting, I will try..

9/14/2006  
Blogger FH said...

I have never made poha payasam!! Good idea, thank you!!

9/15/2006  
Blogger Shammi said...

VKN, I made this payasam today - it was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! The quantity was perfect, too... perfect for two people (or two servings for one person) - I ate it all and now I feel like a greedy pig. A happy one, mind you... :)

9/19/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very good idea ..i got one more recipe with poha....thnx for sharing..

9/19/2006  
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

I have got some aval with me not knowing what to do .. ur payasam looks so attractive that Iam going to try this.Thanks for the recipe

9/19/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried the payasam & it tuned out to be too good... Planning to make it again today... Thanks for thr recipe...

9/21/2006  
Blogger Shammi said...

VKN: Just to let you know I added the copyright info on my post. Sorry, I thought it was enough to say that I'd followed your recipe and linked to your blog! My apologies.

9/22/2006  
Blogger Chandrika said...

VKN, Thank you for the recipe...It sure sounds delicious... :-)

9/23/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vkn, been a while since I got to see a sweet dish....very Interesting payasam to try.Thanks for sharing .

9/23/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vkn, been a while since I got to see a sweet dish....very Interesting payasam to try.Thanks for sharing .

9/23/2006  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Thank you dear all - gratefully acknowledging all your kind compliments. We will definitely come up with many more such traditional dishes in the coming days. Once again, thanks for being with us. - vkn -

9/23/2006  
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi VKN,
I tried this and it turned out great..
http://premascookbook.blogspot.com/2006/10/aval-payasam.html
Thanks

10/10/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tried the recipe. in spite of stirrng for long time the sugar did not mix thoroughly into the beaten rice. it was sweet but not amalgamated. any help?

11/21/2006  
Anonymous Anu said...

Aval payasam looks very very inviting :)

Am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of aval payasam in my blog. Do visit my blog when u get time. Would be happy to receive ur comments:)

4/10/2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*