December 16, 2006

VCC 137 - Paruppu Urundai Rasam

This most traditional Indian recipe is coming from United States kindly contributed by Krithika Ramachandran to the group book project 'You Can Cook for 'Feed a Hungry Child'.

Endorsement statement by Krithika: "Getting this family recipe published for a noble cause like this would mean a lot to me. I encourage other food bloggers and non-bloggers to come forward and help the fight against global poverty."

More from her own words, "Sometimes I crave for traditional south indian dishes. Dishes that my mother learnt from her mother and my grandmother from her mother. One such dish is paruppu urundai rasam. Coarsely ground torum paruppu (Arhar/tuvar dal) balls are gently cooked in rasam. This can be made with any rasam but I prefer pepper (milagu) rasam since the balls absorb the flavors from the broth you need a rasam of this intensity."

The recipe details of Paruppu Urundai Rasam are here.

VCC: VCC Q4-2006: FAHC: FAHC-campaign