December 30, 2006

VCC 172 - Doi Maach

Here is a very traditional Bengali fish dish recipe kindly contributed by Sandeepa to the group book project project 'You Can Cook for 'Feed a Hungry Child'.

In Sandeepa's own words, "Doi Maach (ch as in chair)or Fish in Yogurt Sauce is a typical Bengali dish which is light, easy to prepare and yet is a favorite as a dish you would serve your guests on those special occasions. I made this with Rohu (a fresh water fish from the carp family) or Rui Mach , which I procured from my Bangladeshi Fish seller. You can also try with other fish like carp, buffalo carp, fresh water bass. Salmon should also be a good bet. If the fish is very fresh and firm as in back home, my Ma or Ma-in law does this without frying the fish. I however always lightly fry the fish and I am presenting here that version."

The fishy fishy bong bong doi maach recipe details are here.

VCC: VCC Q4-2006: FAHC: FAHC-campaign