February 22, 2007

VCC 303 - Beetroot Kootu

This colorful homely favorite dish recipe is kindly contributed by Priya MN to the group cookbook project 'You Can Cook' for 'Feed a Hungry Child' campaign.

Beetroot kootu recipe
(unedited)

Ingredients:
Beetroot - 1 large (chopped into fine bits)
Potato - 1 medium (chopped into fine bits)
Carrot - 1 medium (chopped into fine bits)
Tomato - 1 medium (chopped into fine bits)
Onion (optional) - 1 small (chopped into fine bits)
Green Chilli - 5-6 (each slit into 4 pieces)
Curry leaves - 1-2 sprigs
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
Moong dal - 2 handfuls
Whole lentils or toor dal - 1 handful
Salt - to taste
Coconut (optional) - 1 -2 tbspn

Method: Saute onion in 1 teaspoon of oil. Add moong dal and lentils along with all the ingredients in a large pot. I prefer to cook in a pot rather than in a pressure cooker because I find the former to be more tasty. When the dal and vegetables are cooked well, your beetroot kootu is ready. I prefer a semi-liquid kutu. I also like a lot of green chillies because it complements the sweetness of beetroot and carrots. Garnish with coriander leaves and coconut. You may add lime juice. This kootu goes well with rice and rotis. This dish is low-cal and nutritious and is a regular at meals in my home.

VCC: VCC Q4-2006: FAHC: FAHC-campaign

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Helene said...

This dish looks absolutely delicious. I´ll try it tomorrow to impress my grown ups. What are curry leaves like? I have a little bush in my garden, but there´s no leaves like sage but needles similar to rosemary. Could I use them instead?

2/22/2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home My Dhaba Recipe MENU * Top 25 Recipes at My Dhaba*